Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ego Over Matter 2008: Changing Things Up Again

OK, I caved.

I said I was going to simplify things, and I was going to limit distractions and things to clutter up my home life and time, but I decided that there were enough co-workers and enough proximity and enough variety, plus enough of a company incentive, that it made sense to go and do it...

I joined a gym again.

I swore I would never do this again after my last bout with a gym back in the mid to late 90's. Part of the benefit of buying our house was so that I could have a squat rack/power cage, all the free weights I needed and never have to set foot in a gym again. Well after several years of mostly using my squat rack as a snowboard tuning bench and clothes line, I decided to let go of the concept of the home gym during the latter part of 2007. Besides, my training approach had changed, and I wasn't really in need of the big home weights set anymore.

Fast forward a year, and a bunch of co-workers decide to make a habit of hitting the 24 Hour Fitness that's just two blocks from my work. I literally pass this gym every single day as I walk from BART up Montgomery to get to work and back. Proximity, can't really get any better. The only thing that would be more convenient would be to have it in my building (we do have a health club as part of our work building, but that one is *way* more expensive than I would want to pay for any gym membership). Hours, this one is truly a 24 hour place, at least from Monday through Friday. Starting at 5:00 AM on Monday morning and running through 10:00 PM until Friday, it's a 24 hour a day gig. That means even me with the insane weekly schedule can get in super early in the morning or super late at night if I chose and use the facilities. Add to the fact that a good bunch of my co-workers go at a regularly scheduled time, the fact that the membership at the one club is actually quite reasonable, and the fact that my company will reimburse $20.00 of my membership each month as part of our company benefits package... hey, what's not to like?

I started going three weeks ago, and since then I have made a commitment to not miss a day if I am in at work. In short, if I come to San Francsico to work, I have no excuse to not train. The only bye clause I get is if I need to be home or I'm out of town, but it's already gotten to the point where I feel guilty if I miss a day, so I am hoping those instances will be few and far between.

My current split consists of the following:

Monday: Chest and Triceps + Cardio
Tuesday: Back and Biceps + Cardio
Wednesday: Legs + Cardio
Thursday: Shoulders and Traps + Cardio
Friday: Lower Back and additional core work (abs, obliques, etc.) + Cardio
Saturday: General Conditioning Through Activity
Sunday: Rest

My goals are somewhat modest in that I want to maintain the lower weight I've worked to be at, have better stamina for Pow Wows and just plain look a little leaner and cleaner :). When I get to the point where I can be Mr. Clean's stand-in (not just from the neck up but from the neck down as well), then I'll be happy (LOL!).

No comments: