Monday, July 7, 2008

Ego Over Matter 2008: Week 5: Weigh In and Random Thoughts

OK, so we are now at week five, and here's my numbers. This morning, I weighed in at 204 pounds, which is one pound down from last week and sixteen pounds down from the start. I guess I should have expected this at this point, but it's still a bit of a let down. Still five weeks and sixteen pounds is 3.2 pounds per week average. Still aggressive, ahead of target, but I can't help it, I get bummed when I can't get a full two pound drop at the minimum.

There's something very empowering and appearing about "making weight" each week. It tends to allow me enough short term focus to do what I have to to meet my goals. Dropping twenty or thirty pounds is often a bit scary to contemplate, but having that weekly two or three pounds (or on those weeks where one pound is all I can report) is an atainable enough goal that I tend to get excited about it. I also notice that there tends to be a weekly cycle. Some weeks feel like I live for Monday morning, as that's where everything comes out in the wash and I know what progress I've actually made. I also tend to like Monday morning because that's the one day that, after weigh-in, I loosen up a little and just drift for a day. From there, I tend to get a little more focused each day until the weekend, when I get hyper-focused leading into my next weigh-in. Then the cycle starts all over again.

I think part of my lower return this week was the three day weekend; it's hard to be super focused on a holiday weekend. It's even harder to stay focused when dinner on Saturday was in Japantown in San Francisco and a great meal of Unagi and Wakame Soba is staring you in the face (LOL!).

Ah well, my one pound weeks tend to be followed on with three pound weeks, so we'll see what next Monday has in store :).

No comments: