Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Who, and what, is MKL?

As time goes on, I get farther and farther from the origin of this acronym, and I realised that a lot of people don't realize what it means or why I use it.



My name is Michael Spencer Larsen, and for 18 years of my life, I was perfectly content with it. However, in 1986, I started a band called Monikker (not a typo, that's how we spelled it; silly conventions of 80's rock were in full force here :) ). Of the five members, three of them were named Michael. We thought that would look silly in print, so two of us decided to change our names, and I decided to be one of them. I chose "Kelly" as my stage name. After some time, a lot of people in the music scene only knew me as "Kelly", but I wsn't interested in changing my name officially. Things got really interesting when istarted working for companies where people would call and ask for "Kelly Larsen" and the receptionist would say "I'm sorry, there's no one here by that name".

For a little while, I actually signed things as Michael/Kelly Larsen, but I figured that looked a bit schitophrenic, so I lost the slash and signed everything as "Michael Kelly Larsen"; thus people would realize that Michael Larsen and Kelly Larsen are the same guy. that convention lasted for close to ten years and through a number of different jobs. Today, even though I haven't used "Kelly" as any type of official name for more than 16 years, MKL is how most people know me, so I still use it.

Now aren't you thrilled to know all that :)?

No comments: