Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Scoutmaster Mike: ...and Keaton Makes Eleven!

One of the longest tenured ongoing activities in my adult life, second only to my being married, has been in my role as an Adult Leader in the Boy Scouts of America. I have a near fifteen year tenure as an Adult leader; I started as a Cubmaster for Pack 92 in San Francisco in August of 1993.

Recently, I was given a new calling in Scouts. I'm now the Scoutmaster for Troop 250 in San Bruno, California. By way of information, this is my second go-around as a Scoutmaster, and this now marks the third “double-dip” scouting position I have held (I was Cubmaster twice, first for Pack 92 in San Francisco from 1993 to 1994 and for Pack 290 from 2004 to 2007; Assistant Scoutmaster twice, for Troop 92 from 1994 to 1996 and for Troop 250 from 2007 to 2008, and now Scoutmaster twice, for Troop 92 from 1996 to 1998 and for Troop 250 from 2008 to who knows :) ). In addition, I'm also an Associate Advisor for Venturing Crew 461, our council's Order of the Arrow Lodge.

The Scout Troop had, up until yesterday, 10 active boys under the age of 14. Last night, we added our eleventh, boy. Keaton earned his Arrow of Light award last night and for the occasion, "Nick^2" (pronounced "Nick-squared" as it consists of my son Nick and his close friend, also named Nick), serve as characters for the Order of the Arrow Ceremony held for Arrow of Light recipients.



Nick^2 in O.A. regalia

I made the regalia that the boys are wearing specifically for them. All of the Lodge regalia that we have is made for six foot tall guys. They would have drowned in the clothes, so rather than have them swimming in huge pieces, I made brand new leggings and war shirts that were sized specifically for them. They are not elaborately decorated at the moment, but that will come in time. I told them I’d add new items to the pieces each time they performed a ceremony in them.




Nick D. and Keaton

This was Nick^2 first experience as Ceremony team members, and I was very proud of both of them last night. I think they helped give Keaton a memorable ceremony. There's still some work to do before the boys become totally proficient, but all in all, an excellent first outing.


Welcoming Keaton as the newest member of Troop 250

No comments: